The Church of St. Mary Magdalene - Tortington


Church

The Church is the former Anglican parish church of the hamlet of Tortington in the district of Arun.

It was founded around 1140 but there are various ideas on who built it. There is a view that it was built for the nearby Priory but other records suggest it predates that. The building is of local flint and Caen stone and despite some Victiorian restoration work, little has changed.

It is Grade 11 listed due to its of architectural and historical importance. The building remained in use until 1978 and is now cared for by the:

< Churches Conservation Trust (CCT) >


____________________________________________________

The Church is in the care of the CCT but services are still organised by St Nicholas’ Church, Arundel and are held four times each year.

<<< The Friends of Tortington Church >>>

who support the church with a wide range of actiities

Plays, Musical events, Plant sales and help maintain the churchyard.

_______________________________________________________________

<<< There is a plan of the churchyard with a list of individuals >>>

          There over 130 plots and more than 220 individuals identified.

_____________________________________________________________________

There are brown road signs marked “St Mary’s Church” at the Ford Road junction 

with Tortington Lane along with a second sign pointing North to the church gate.A Pictorial Guide